This is a summary review of Be More Pirate containing key details about the book.
What is Be More Pirate About?
Be More Pirate is a non-fiction book written by entrepreneur Sam Conniff. The book discusses the history of the Gold Age Pirates, presenting their traits as leaders as inspiration for entrepreneurs working in the 21st Century. Pirates, contrary to common belief were highly skilled sailors with a coordinated network of collaborators. They were also innovative thinkers and among the first equal-opportunity employers.
Who is the author of Be More Pirate?
Sam Conniff is a British author and the founder of Livity.
How long is Be More Pirate?
- Print length: 290 pages
What genre is Be More Pirate?
Nonfiction, Business, Self Help
What are the main summary points of Be More Pirate?
Here are some key summary points from Be More Pirate:
- Takeaway 1: Becoming a rebellious pirate, an agent for change, starts with finding a cause for rebellion. To find your cause, ask yourself, “What rule do I find unfair, unjust or just plain annoying?”.
- Takeaway 2: Once you break the rules, you’ve got to rewrite it. In other words, don't just break the rules for the sake of it, but do so for constructive evolution.
- Takeaway 3: Your rebellion doesn’t have to be so drastic. You can start small by finding something in your job to improve and practicing not shying away from confrontation.
- Takeaway 4: Like pirates, aim to create strong connections. By doing so, you can stay small and agile, and, when the situation calls for it, you can tap into your network to scale. You can do so by using the power of the internet and creating a network of people around the world that can be called on at any time.
- Takeaway 5: Have a strong code of ethics and remain true to your core values. Create your own pirate code, enforce it and never lose sight of who you are.
- Takeaway 6: Create a singular message and spread it by leveraging the power of storytelling and branding. Also, be the brand – don’t just talk about it. Show to the world (and your critics) how your brand can make the world better.
What are good quotes from Be More Pirate?
“Try telling the truth for a whole week. And just see how much trouble you get in.”
Growth for growth’s sake is basically cancer"
“Imagination is a deadly weapon, it pays to keep it sharp.”
“The more powerful the person you meet, the more surprising it is to find out they’re just making it up, just like the rest of us.”
“There’s only one thing more stupid than stupid rules, and that’s the people who follow them.”
“Rulebreakers are like great artists, sometimes we don’t recognize what they give us until it’s too late.”
“The trouble is that for too long, business has been run by the wrong sort of pirates”
What are the chapters in Be More Pirate?
Chapter 1: Here Be Dragons
Chapter 2: Enemies of Humanities
Chapter 3: Pirate Chronicles
Chapter 4: Rebels with a cause
Chapter 5: Rewrite Your Rules
Chapter 6: Reorganize Yourself
Chapter 7: Redistribute Power
Chapter 8: Retell Tall Tales
Chapter 9: By the Numbers
Chapter 10: Original Pirate Material
Chapter 11: The Pirate Code 2.0
Chapter 12: The Call
Chapter 13: The Pirate List
Is Be More Pirate worth reading?
The majority of customer reviews on leading review sites are positive. Here's what some reviewers had to say about the book:
"This isn't a book, it's the beginning of a movement. Be More Pirate should come with a health warning." —Tom Goodwin, author of Digital Darwinism
"Ask forgiveness, not permission! A unique approach...reminds me of the fun we've had with our airlines." —Sir Richard Branson
"A model for how to break the system and create radical change." —Evening Standard
"A refreshing, entertaining and inspiring perspective on work, leadership and why we do what we do." —Bruce Daisley, VP, Twitter
"Be More Pirate feels so important as it looks to history to help us grip the future." —Martha Lane Fox CBE, Founder of Lastminute.com
"A controversial call to arms, this contrarianism is exactly what we need to course correct 'the corporation.'" —Arlo Brady, CEO of Freud Communications
[Conniff Allende is] one of the sharpest thinkers on the planet. Diving deep into the pirate mythology and ethos, Conniff-Allende riffs on the power of being a swashbuckling, take-no-prisoners leader in the Steve Jobs mode—but also presents a powerful deconstruction on the state of work today and how it can be different if we chose to. It is a manifesto for each of us to create the sort of Good Trouble the world needs.” —Forbes
Tal Gur is a location independent entrepreneur, author, and impact investor. After trading his daily grind for a life of his own daring design, he spent a decade pursuing 100 major life goals around the globe. His most recent book and bestseller, The Art of Fully Living - 1 Man, 10 Years, 100 Life Goals Around the World, has set the stage for his new mission: elevating society to its abundance potential.